• Check out the Free Press founder's new Rhode Island/New England sports blog
  • http://providencesportsscribe.blogspot.com/

Friday, August 29, 2008

Men's Soccer 1, Sacred Heart 0

Welcome Matts
Marcin tips Jones, SHU over edge for Friars

Sacred Heart senior goalkeeper Matt Jones –going into his fourth and final visit to Glay Field with a cumulative log of 17 saves and eight goals against in three prior visits (and losses) here- built up a noticeable immunity for this clash with the Friars.

Regrettably for him, it was as reliable as last winter’s flu vaccination and eventually snuffed out just enough for him to submit a 1-0 defeat, granting PC’s Class of 2009 a generational sweep in the unofficially traditional late August convention between these two programs.

The Pioneers, a team that the transferred Jonathan Medcalf had specialized in dismantling during his two-year stay in Providence, now had its turn feeling the uncompromising, laborious desire of Matt Marcin. The sophomore midfielder watched Jones swallow his first two shot attempts as part of the Friars’ escalating romp everywhere outside of the scoreboard, then clicked in the 56th minute for the game’s only conversion.

Jones’ peak dynamics valiantly eclipsed the Friars’ stranglehold in the way of attempts. By day’s end, the marginal victors had charged up a 15-3 edge in shots, 7-2 in shots on net, 14-3 in awarded corner kicks, and 5-0 in offside calls. That’s how little Sacred Heart managed to penetrate the opposing backline corps.

The starting PC strike force –composed of a brimful five middies and a lone deep-rooted prospector in Timothy Ritter- took its time thawing out while each contesting band bludgeoned the stat sheet with foul calls. Leading up to near the 30-minute mark, the foul count read 6-5 tilting towards the Friars, the Pioneers had been denied on their only shot attempt at home goalkeeper Timothy Murray, and Ritter had supplied one wide attempt for the home team.

For the remaining third of the first half, though, Providence compiled a virtually undisrupted gush of five shot attempts, three going down in the SOG column. The solitary striker Ritter, who stepped out in favor of Sean Bahktiarti with eight seconds till break, accounted for half of the team’s first six purposeful boots while Ryan Maduro and Marcin thrust back to back stabs at Jones within the 40th minute.

Sacred Heart, which temporarily led the SOG drive via Filipe Celiyakka’s registered kick at Murray in the 29th minute, wouldn’t so much as take another attempt until the 50th minute –a wide kick by Jesper Fredricksson.

Six minutes later, Marcin had tested Jones twice more and finally bent the keeper’s steel spine at the 55:36 mark. Michael Pereira directed a feed from Maduro to Marcin, who whisked it home from a reported six yards distance.

Nothing but another fit of Pioneer cleat numbness ensued. Starting with Marcin’s two, the Friars ran up eight unanswered shots, half of them played or damagingly missed by Jones, and two strikingly coming off the cranium of defender Bryan Minogue, one of which Jones was forced to lash out at in the 63rd minute.

Ritter concluded the tempest with his team-leading fourth attempt of the day at 77:24, four minutes before the Pioneers offered Murray a little more action and everyone a reminder that potential overtime was in tasting distance.

But Murray pushed away Jason Tessitore’s attempted corner kick conversion at 81:17, and within another two minutes, Celiyakka drew his second card of day and the consequential heave-ho, symbolically zapping any Sacred Heart rally hopes.

No comments: